Nidhi, here with another recipe to share..
If there’s one thing I truly miss from my pre-health-conscious lifestyle; it’s MAC’N’CHEESE! I have my cheat days but I have never once cheated with the Kraft dish because of all of the preservatives and chemicals it has inside of it’s nommingly-deceptive contents. Nommingly is a word now. If you’re anything like me, you cheat in the way that still nurtures your body – that’s the point, right?
I have come up with my own recipe for Vegan Mac’N’Cheese; there are several variations available out there so it’s quite easy to come up with your own kind. It was very yummy if I do say so myself :D.
For my recipe, I used (all organic):
- Gluten-free rice pasta
- 2 tbsp spelt flour (chickpea, sorghum, amaranth, or all-purpose GF flour will do fine if you want to keep this dish gluten free – this was used as a sauce thickener)
- 1/2 cup canned lite (full-fat is fine too) coconut milk
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp coconut or grape seed oil
- spinach and/or kale (optional) .. i also added zucchini slices 🙂
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- feel free to add some veggies of your choice
Bring water to a boil and add pasta. Cook as instructed on the label. For gluten-free pastas, 6 – 8 minutes is more than enough.
In a saucepan, heat oil and cook garlic until fragrant. Add the coconut milk and mix in nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and chilli powder. When the mixture is heated, add the tsp of dijon mustard and mix thoroughly. Add the flour of your choice (slowly so that it doesn’t become to thick) to thicken the sauce. Taste and add salt as desired. Try not to add too much to avoid a high-sodium dish – the dijon will help the flavour anyway.
When the sauce becomes thicker mix in the pasta and add the vegetables you choose. Let everything cook together for another 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
Add the chilli flakes and some pepper – enjoy! Mmmm.. healthy is so yummmyyyyy.