I’ve been swimming pretty much all my life. I grew up in swimming lessons, I lifeguarded and taught swimming for six years, I swam masters, and I swam in triathlons. Though my love affair with swimming is a bit of a rollercoaster, I always end up back in the pool… But first, I have to pack my bag. And that’s never an easy task.
What’s in my Swim Bag?
1. A suit (of course). The longest lasting swim suits are made of a lot of polyester (check the tag). Without it, chlorine will chew through your suit very quickly. Always make sure you rinse it out in fresh water after swimming in a chlorinated pool! I have a long torso, and long torso styles are few and far between, but this Nike style fits great (I think because the back is so open).
2. Flip flops. So important if you want to avoid a brush with plantar’s warts. Trust me. Do not go to the pool without flip flops.
3. A swim camp. Some pools require them, but they’re a lifesaver if you have long hair anyway. I’m cheap so I just keep the free ones I get from triathlons, but they aren’t too pricey at Walmart. Again, rinse with fresh water after, or they will get gunky.
4. Goggles. Baby shampoo can help stop them from fogging up.
5. Finis Swimp3– an underwater mp3 player. I hesitate to recommend this because a) it’s a little buggy and b) you’ll never be able to go back to non-music swimming again. Seriously, these revolutionized my swimming. This particular brand is great because it works through bone conduction, so you don’t have to put ear buds in your ears (which I imagine would be brutal while swimming).
6. Two towels. I always need more than one. Lucky people everywhere get free towels at their gym, but not me!
7. Pull buoy & flutter board. I like drills because they break up an otherwise monotonous swim. Some people also like flippers and hand paddles, but I just use whatever my pool provides.
8. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, face lotion. I’m not normally someone with a long beauty routine but chlorine is an absolute monster on your hair and skin. Rinse, cleanse, and hydrate after every swim.
9. Hair brush. To rip out those monster tangles.
10. Lululemon “sweaty unmentionables” bag. My Lululemon gym bag came with great little bag (pictured above) that I can throw my semi-wet suit and goggles, etc. in for the walk home. It stops everything else from getting wet.
That’s about it for me! Am I missing anything key?
What’s in your swim bag?